For all you work-from-home professionals, here are some multitasking tips from David Meyer, a professor of cognition and perception at the University of Michigan (brought to you by WIRED magazine):
1) Double up on tasks that use different mental channels like writing a report and brainstorming for a company logo.
2) Think carefully about the requirements of each task. If you are trying to close the sales while driving a car and the conversation does not go as planned you might be endangering both your life and the lives of innocent others.
3) Minimize unnecessary distractions by switching off your phone ringer, shutting down your email and closing the door (if you have one).
4) Interrupt tasks at natural breaking points. Finish writing a sentence before answering a phone.
5) Set aside time for not doing anything at all. Take breaks, eat well, exercise and make sure you get enough sleep.