Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- Test Your Knowledge of 4 Basic Fonts – Drag & Drop - January 27, 2017
- How NOT to Design a Web Site - January 25, 2017
- Hazards of Poorly Written Technical Documentation - December 26, 2016
© 2008-2010 Ugur Akinci
Renaming the FrameMaker Books
Think twice before changing the name of a FrameMaker book file especially if the book includes TOC, index, List of Figures (LOF) and List of Tables (LOT) files.
Because when you try to compile a new PDF book file, FrameMaker will try to locate the newly-named versions of the TOC, IX, LOT, and LOF files.
When it can’t find them, it will refuse to create a PDF book. You will have to re-create those TOC, IX, LOT and LOF files to compile the PDF file of the newly-named book.
Images disappear in PDF?
You save your FM document as PDF but the images in anchored frames disappear. All you get is blank frames.
Select File > Preferences > General and check the Save FrameImage with Imported Graphics check-box.
Re-generate the PDF and all your images should be there.
Installing new or missing fonts for FM
1) Save (or extract) the fonts to a folder on your system.
2) Go to your Windows Control Panel > Fonts screen.
3) From the menu, select File > Install New Font… to display the Add Fonts dialog box.
4) Find the folder in which you have saved the desired font. Select it and make sure it appears in the List of Fonts list box. Make sure the Copy fonts to Fonts folder check-box is checked.
5) Click OK.
6) When you open your FM document, you should see the new font listed when you select Format > Font from the main menu.
(The new font should be accessible from other Windows applications like Photoshop as well.)