Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- Should Technical Writing be Boring? And if Yes, Why? - November 15, 2017
- How to Create a Custom-Designed Header in MS Word that Would be Available to All Other Word Documents - November 13, 2017
- What is the Difference Between Expository Writing and Technical Writing? - November 8, 2017
© 2009-2010 Ugur Akinci
Here is a general checklist that you might find useful to make sure your software documentation project does not miss anything:
- Do you have access to the software project’s Scope Document?
- Do you have access to the functional and marketing specs of the software project?
- Have you written a Documentation Plan for this project?
- Is your Documentation Plan approved by the client or the authorized project manager?
- Do you know who will review the document?
- Do you have an approved Template for this project?
- Do you know where you’ll get your image and/or multi-media files from?
- Do you have an official Style Guideline that you’ll follow?
- Will there be any single-sourced collaterals (like a help file, or a different-sized version of the same document) compiled from the same source file?
- Will you need any hardware to complete the project?
- Will you need to travel to other locations to gather information for the project?
- Will you need to interview any Subject Matter Experts to complete the project?
- Will you need to participate in or arrange any teleconferences or webinars to gather information or report about the project?
- What version management platform will you use for document version control? (MS SourceSafe? Agile?)
- How will you backup your files?
- Will you write the document alone or will there be other technical writers on the project?
- Will there be any in-house peer review required before you submit the document to official management review?
- Will the end product be localized and translated to other languages?
- Do you need to follow any special guidelines for localization?
- Will you have any access to a tracker system to incorporate the results of bug reports?
- Will you need to compile any training materials/sets from the source files?
If you take the necessary measures and precautions ahead of time depending on the answers to these questions you’ll have a more successful documentation performance.