Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- 3 Ways to Add Copyright Free Images to Your Blogs, Books and Documents - September 19, 2016
- How to Delete All Hyperlinks in a MS #Word Document through VBA Macro - September 1, 2016
- How to View a List of All Open MS Word Documents through VBA Macro - August 31, 2016
This article will list 4 advantages and 2 disadvantages behind affiliate marketing, specifically article marketing, and why it is a reasonable way to generate passive income as a technical writer. After finishing this article you should be able to decide whether a technical writing job in affiliate marketing sounds reasonable to you.
1) Why a technical writer should consider article marketing
As a technical writer you are already highly skilled in producing instruction-type articles for your reader. Why not combine this skill with the potential of the Internet? There are literally millions of information hungry surfers looking for instructive how-to manuals out there. A technical writer can use his well-honed authorship skills to produce this kind of material, thus generating a passive stream of long-term income.
Here is an overview of the advantages and disadvantages behind a technical writing job in article marketing. These will be explained later.
- Wide exposure and the possibility of gaining a fellowship.
- A long term passive income stream.
- Establishing authority with the possibility of being picked up by a publisher.
- Consistent effort is a must before the sales will start to roll in.
- A (no too steep) learning curve is present.
2) Wide exposure…
The first advantage behind applying your technical writing skills to this line of work lies in gaining wide exposure and a possible fellowship. There are many poorly written how-to, instructional manuals out there, a technical writer’s professional touch will serve as a refreshing change.
When submitting to an article directory you must agree to an authorship contract, while (depending on the directory of your choice) you might loose the rights to your article, your work will still bare your name and will remain credited to you, allowing you to claim it as your own and thus opening the possibility to a fellowship.
3) A long term passive income…
You can generate a long term passive income by offering your expertise on a particular niche. Whatever it is you are knowledgeable about, there is always a market for it. Just ask Google or search around some forums that might interest you and notice the amount of questions being asked. These are the potential topics of your next technical writing job.
You will be able to generate this passive income stream by writing a professionally crafted, instructional article, offering your advice to those who need it, later directing them to a relevant informational (or any other) product of your choice.
4) Establish authority…
A sure way to land a technical writing job and to be picked up by a publisher is to gain exposure thorough article writing. Your article will not only receive free search engine traffic but will also gain a chunk of traffic through blog and RSS syndication, once it becomes available at the article directory of your choice.
5) Consistent effort…
The only real drawback with article marketing is the essential need for consistent effort. One should view article marketing as a long term investment. Payments will be received and will become more and more frequent the longer you stay in the “game” and the more articles you submit to your article directory.
Financial benefits behind article marketing will manifest themselves after a couple of months (2-3 months in general), till then you will have to find another source of income while keeping the writing and submission process active.
6) The learning curve…
Being a technical writer, you are already ahead of most who embark on this career path. While this is certainly a benefit, you must consider educating yourself in the ways of internet marketing and research. A successful article marketer is able to identify his competition, research general keywords, optimize his articles for Google ranking and so on. This education is essential to a successful technical writing career in affiliate marketing.
In this article you have learned that:
- A technical writing job in internet marketing can establish a consistent flow of passive income.
- It can gain you a fellowship and a potential publishing contract through wide exposure.
- It requires consistent effort from your side before you can harvest the fruits of your labor.
- You must educate yourself prior to reaping the benefits.
Gregory D. Loyd is an experienced affiliate marketer specializing in article marketing. Gaining his knowledge by being part in several high ranking Internet marketing campaigns, Gregory is here to share information on the inner workings of the industry as well as share his experience as an Internet marketer.