Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- Test Your Knowledge of 4 Basic Fonts – Drag & Drop - January 27, 2017
- How NOT to Design a Web Site - January 25, 2017
- Hazards of Poorly Written Technical Documentation - December 26, 2016
© 2010 Ugur Akinci
Sometimes you are away from your home or office computer and you need to write something and mail it right away. However, you need to have a layout, headers, footers, and even some math equations in there. Plus, you may want to discuss the text with your co-author(s) before finalizing it.
In short, you may need a full-fledged word processor but want it online and for free.
Enter Zoho Writer 2.0which allows you to create sophisticated documents and then save them online. All you need is a free account. This very piece itself for example was written in Zoho and saved to my Zoho account. So whenever I feel like it I can log into my Zoho account, retrieve the document and keep working on it or share it with others, or print it.
Features of Zoho Writer 2.0 that I like:
- A WYSIWYG Editor with all the character and paragraph formatting options that you’d expect
- Ability to edit in Print view (called “Page View”)
- Tab-based Toolbar(you get different tools attached to individual tabs)
- Drop-down menus attached to individual Tabs:
- Auto-insert fields(like date or page number) for Headers and Footers
- Page layout and page size selection (Portrait vs. Landscape, Normal, Legal, etc.)
- LaTeX Math Equation Editor for Students, Engineers & Scientists (a sophisticated tool that I didn’t expect from an online editor)
- Version History sidebar that allows you to track every change made to the document
- The ability to share documents with friends/colleagues in person and group
- The ability to collaborate on a document real time and discuss them via Zoho Chat window
- A Template Library to create documents with ready-to-use templates
- Ability to create “merge documents” by inserting merge fields
Take this tour:
Check it out today.