Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- 2 Good Reasons to Write for Free Rather Than for Just a Few Dismal Bucks - October 18, 2017
- 10 Indispensable Concepts of English Grammar You Should Know - October 16, 2017
- INFOGRAPHICS – Technical Writers Work for… - October 13, 2017
At an interview recently I was asked, “How do you build trust?” After thinking about the question for a moment, I answered,
Building trust requires that you be honest and transparent. Also, delivering on your promises instills credibility and helps build trust.
I think that was a pretty good answer for thinking on my feet. Looking back, I realize my answer comes from experience. I, along with many other technical writers, am familiar with:
- Being accused of not being an “expert” or at the very least not understanding the topic/industry.
- Encountering resistance, from little speed bumps of disagreement to mountains of cultural dysfunction.
- Avoiding political games and power plays, or at least staying neutral if caught in the middle.