Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- How Much Money Can Writers Make? - June 22, 2017
- 2 Methods to Avoid Gender Ambiguity - June 21, 2017
- How to Write in “Action Units” in Technical Writing - May 31, 2017
© 2010 Ugur Akinci
Here is an interesting web site to compare your favorite HATs (Help Authoring Tools): HAT-Matrix
The site has 2 drawbacks:
1) Only those vendors who paid to be on the site are represented (WebWorks, for example, is missing).
2) The owners of the site rely on the vendors’ own product descriptions and admit that they are not experts in all the HATs presented. So, user beware.
And here are the 2 positive things about it:
1) Most (if not all) help file companies are represented here, including my personal favorite Adobe RoboHelp 8.
2) The site indeed provides a very useful interface through which you can compare up to 4 HATs in over a dozen dimensions. I for example was not aware of RoboHelp’s amazing superiority in database handling until I’ve made some side-by-side comparisons with the other products. Such comparisons can be an eye-opener indeed.
Try it and let me know what you think…