Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- What is the Readability Index of Your Writing? - November 20, 2017
- Should Technical Writing be Boring? And if Yes, Why? - November 15, 2017
- How to Create a Custom-Designed Header in MS Word that Would be Available to All Other Word Documents - November 13, 2017
© 2010 Ugur Akinci
When you begin to create a new document in Adobe FrameMaker 9, FM offers 3 format options:
The first two format options are self-explanatory. In this post we’ll study the third option by creating a Custom Document.
1) Select File > New from the menu (or click the Document option under the Create New group on the Starter screen) to display the New dialog box:
(Click on images to enlarge them)
2) Click the Custom button to display the Custom Blank Paper dialog box:
You can select one of the built-in page sizes from the Page Size drop-down list including:
- U.S. Letter (8.5″ x 11″)
- U.S. Legal (8.5″ x 14″)
- Tabloid (11″ x 17″)
- A3 Tabloid [European] (29.7 cm x 42.0 cm)
- A4 Letter [European] (21.0 cm x 29.7 cm)
- A5 Letter [European] (14.8 cm x 21.0 cm)
- B5 Letter [European] (17.6 cm x 25.0 com)
3) Select Custom for Page Size. We’ll create a 6″ x 9″ document for a small pocket-size manual.
4) Enter 6″ for Width for and 9″ for Height.
5) Enter 0.5″ for all 4 margins (Top, Bottom, Left, Right) since this will be a small document.
6) Enter 2 for Number of Columns and 0.1″ for the Gap between the columns.
7) In the Pagination group, select the Double-Sided option button which automatically creates a Right and Left master page behind the scenes. Leave “Right 1st Page” option as is. Leave the Units as Inch.
8] Click Create to create the 6″ x 9″ custom document:
9) To toggle the borders on and off, select/unselect View > Borders from the menu or press ESC + v + b.
10) To toggle the text symbols on and off, select/unselect View > Text Symbols from the menu or press ESC + v + t.