Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- How to Number Your Documents Properly – A Document Numbering Strategy - April 24, 2017
- How to Avoid Repeating Words in a Headline - April 18, 2017
- Leveraging Multi-Function Printers With Document Imaging Software - April 10, 2017
© 2011 Ugur Akinci
There are 3 ways you can correct such misaligned lists.
ERROR SOURCE 1: Extra in-line spaces.
Sometimes a line would have additional spaces in the BEGINNING of a listed item due to unnecessary or accidental pressing of the Space Bar. Select such blanks and delete them.
In the above example, line 2 has an extra space (but NOT line 3).
Select and delete it.
ERROR SOURCE 2: Autonumbering formula.
Sometimes the extra space would be in the Autonumber formula.
- Display the Paragraph Designer’s Numbering tab.
- Select the extra space in the Autonumber Format field and delete it.
- Then click Apply button in the Paragraph Designer.
ERROR SOURCE 3: Indentation values.
Sometimes the problem will be with the FIRST indentation value in the BASIC tab:
In this example lines 2 and 3 have 0 (zero) for First Indentation but 0.2″ for line 1. Enter 0 for line 1 and click Apply.
LASTLY, sometimes you’ll see weird lines like the fourth one if the auto-formula is PRECEDED by a a DIFFERENT SERIES DESIGNATOR:
Line 4 not only has a different series designator than all the other lines but also a few extra spaces.
Select and delete both the designator N (together with the colon right after it) and the extra spaces. Click Apply.
Here is your list, cured of all its anomalies: