Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- Hazards of Poorly Written Technical Documentation - December 26, 2016
- Get an ‘A’ on Your Next Research Paper With These 6 Simple Steps - November 28, 2016
- An Amazing and FREE Source of Magazines and Periodicals — ISSUU - November 25, 2016
© Ugur Akinci
Follow these steps to combine multiple MS Word 2007 or 2010 documents into a single document.
1) Create your individual documents by using as much the same paragraph styles as possible. If they are already created, make sure they share the same paragraph styles as much as possible. This step makes combining them a simpler process.
2) Create a blank Master Document.
3) Combine the individual documents in that Master Document.
1) Backup all your individual documents before attempting anything.
2) Open your individual documents. For the purposes of this exercise, we’ve created Document 1, Document 2, and Document 3.
3) Create and save a Master Document — which is nothing more than a new Word document referred to as a “Master” Document.
At this point all your documents should be OPEN — both the Master Document and the other individual documents.
4) In the Master Document, select View tab > Document Views pod and select the OUTLINE view:
5) Click the SHOW DOCUMENT button to display additional controls:
6) Click the INSERT button to display the documents you’ve created or opened with the intention of combining into a larger document:
7) Select “Document 1” to insert into the Outline. If there are any styles named the same both in that document and the Master Document, Word 2010 will give you an opportunity to change the style name (or keep it the same).
This is how Document 1 inserted into the Master Document looks like:
8] Repeat the same for the other two remaining document. This is how Document 2 is added right after Document 1:
9) Click CLOSE OUTLINE VIEW to shift back to the default PRINT LAYOUT view.
WARNING: Always keep backup copies of your individual documents since Word Master Documents sometimes do get corrupted. Read the comments following this post please.