Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- How to Count the Number of Days with an Incident and Chart with Running Averages in MS Excel - October 19, 2016
- FREE Online Video Course – MS Word Power Shortcuts - October 14, 2016
- INFOGRAPHICS – Which Business Entity is Right for You? - September 28, 2016
© Ugur Akinci
All technical writing positions are not in hi-tech and software-hardware sector. There are many similar positions in research institutions, medical schools, and life sciences as well. They are sometimes classified as “medical writing” positions and sometimes not.
Here is one interesting position with Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD advertised as a “technical writing” post.
Just the amazing diversity of tasks that this particular technical writer is expected to perform should be a wake-up call for those who regard technical writing as a “boring” field:
- Synthesize and deliver global and local health-related knowledge using online collaborative tools.
- Conduct online research and literature reviews.
- Identify and compile data from multiple resources including electronic databases and published reports, and perform analyses as needed.
- Assist in developing online toolkits.
- Identify and consult with national and international experts in family planning, public health, obstetrics and gynecology, and other disciplines.
- Compile important information resources from the work of international health organizations and others for online program toolkits.
- Coordinate program toolkit review process online.
- Coordinate publication development and review process online, including tracking reviewer comments.
- Revise, review drafts, weighing comments of reviewers and reflecting the consensus of expert opinion in content, scope, emphasis, and tone.
- Assist in writing content for the Web and for print tailored for program managers and health care providers, including wall charts, fact sheets, and job aids.
- Edit design production of Health Communication Partnership publications.
- Design and promote conference activities.
- Attend meetings, prepare work plans, monitor related budgets.