© 2011 Ugur Akinci
I’m sure you are familiar with the way Excel automatically creates a list of months. You just type “January” in the first cell and then pull and drag the corner of the cell downwards to reveal the names of all the other 11 months in correct sequence.
You can do the same with days of the week as well. Those are some of the default lists that Excel comes with:
But did you know that you can create user-defined auto-lists in any way you like?
For example, imagine you have a TEAM of ten individuals and you do not want to type their names every time you create a table with their names for the rows.
You can create that user-defined auto-list by following these steps:
(1) Select Excel Button > Excel Options > Popular pane.
(2) Click Edit Custom Lists to display the Custom List dialog box:
(3) In the List Entries text box on the RIGHT, type in the names of the individuals on your list, each name separated by a comma.
(4) Click Add to add the custom list:
(5) Click OK to close the dialog box. Click OK once again to close the Excel Options window.
(6) Go back to your worksheet and type in the first name on your list, “Bob.”
(7) Click and drag the HANDLE on the right-lower corner of the “Bob” cell and the rest of the list will be automatically populated:
Isn’t that a great way to create the frequently-used lists automatically?