Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- 101 Tips and Tutorials to Write Like a Pro - August 17, 2017
- How to Find a Technical Writing Job – Some Ideas and Resources - August 9, 2017
- BOOK REVIEW: “Design for How People Learn” by Julie Dirksen - July 10, 2017
(We received this job post yesterday from a TCC reader:)
An 8 month contract position based in Fairfield, CT.
The client is a market leading communications product development firm. They are a stable private company with more than 35 years in business. Staff of 1200 + worldwide and revenues of $600 million +
Primary responsibilities involve creating and maintaining technical documentation through the entire development lifecycle for the product, which includes telephony hardware, embedded software components, and Linux- and Windows-based applications.
- Write documentation using a topic-based DITA tool chain, including hardware, software and networking components, using architectural and functional specification documents, interviews with subject matter experts and hands-on use of equipment.
- Illustrate technical documentation with photographs, drawings, diagrams, and screen captures as required.
- Review and revise draft material with input from developers and other stakeholders.
- Test and update procedural material against developing versions of the product.
- Understand revision control and content management to be able to coordinate work with multiple other writers.
- Produce deliverables in multiple formats (PDF, Help, etc.) for multiple audiences.
- A four-year degree in a related field (Communications, English, Computer Science, Engineering).
- Technical writing experience in a development environment, documenting products that include both hardware and software components.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing clearly and concisely for multiple audience levels on highly technical topics.
- Familiarity and comfort with the dynamic nature of an SDLC-driven development process.
- Significant experience (> 2 years) writing in one of the following tools: FrameMaker, XMetaL, oXygen XML Editor, or equivalent. We use XMetaL but significant skills with any of these tools is acceptable.
- Significant experience producing documentation in a structured environment that includes a content management system and multiple delivery outputs.
- Knowledge/experience of the following:
- Server hardware, firmware, and software
- Linux, and Windows operating systems
- Telephony, especially VoIP telephony
- Networking hardware and software
- Hardware and software system administration
- Flexible and independent, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to work creatively and collaborate with cross-functional teams in geographically-disparate locations.
If interested, please contact: