Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- BOOK REVIEW: “Design for How People Learn” by Julie Dirksen - July 10, 2017
- 12 Top Characteristics of a Good Technical Writer - July 3, 2017
- What Are the Qualities of a Good Technical Writer? - June 28, 2017
© Ugur Akinci
Fundraising letters come in many varieties. Before writing one or asking your copywriter to draft a fundraiser letter for your organization, perhaps you might want to consider the following seven possibilities:
1. An ACQUISITION letter is sent to new a new list of prospects who have never contributed any donations to your organization.
2. A WELCOME letter goes to those who have just joined your organization or sent in their first donations. A warm little welcome message goes a long way in terms of donor or membership loyalty and interest.
3. A SPECIAL APPEAL letter urges your donors to contribute an additional amount for a special and worthwhile cause, perhaps one with a deadline on it.
4. A YEAR-END APPEAL letter is a common one sent out by thousands of organizations every year and people contribute simply because it’s a special gift-giving time of the year when we feel especially generous and altruistic.
5. The HIGH-DOLLAR letter aims at the rich and powerful donors and invites them to send in generously for a special cause worthy of their fame and fortune, and which provides them with a sizable tax-deductible excuse to earn some PR points while doing good.
6. The UPGRADE APPEAL letter asks the existing donors and/or members to ratchet up their support and move on to an even more exclusive circle of benefactors.
7. The RENEWAL letter is the one we are all very familiar with, especially those of us who subscribe to magazines. Membership renewal letters are also sent out by countless organizations all across the USA to renew commitment and raise new dollars.
All these letters have a different format and need to be written with a technique, style and voice appropriate for the audience and fit the specific purpose.
Before deciding to hire a copywriter, consult with a professional writer to make sure that your valuable resources will generate the expected maximum return. And that starts with first deciding on exactly which type of fundraising campaign to launch.
(Free photo courtesy of https://unsplash.com/)