Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- How to Number Your Documents Properly – A Document Numbering Strategy - April 24, 2017
- How to Avoid Repeating Words in a Headline - April 18, 2017
- Leveraging Multi-Function Printers With Document Imaging Software - April 10, 2017
© Ugur Akinci
WEEKLY WRITING UPDATE
Have “zero variance” in your technical document.
* If you have used the acronym “LAN” on the first page, you should not switch to “local area network” on page 10.
* If you have used a Figure Caption AFTER Figure 1, you should not use a caption BEFORE Figures 2, 3 and 4.
* If you have used “Arial 14 Points” for Header 1 on page 1, the Header 1 on page 56 should not have “Times New Roman 18 Points” font.
* If the First Page template in Chapter 1 has a 1.5 inch left margin, every Chapter First Page should also have a 1.5 inch left margin.
Eliminate redundant expressions from your writing.
- Large in size. (How can anything be large in any other attribution category? “Large” by itself says enough.)
- Advance reservation. (Reservations are never after-the-fact.)
- 10 p.m. in the evening. (Nothing p.m. happens in the morning.)
- Restart again. (If something restarts, it always starts again.)
- Rain activity. (Rain is never inactive.)
- Fire activity. (See above.)
- Our prices are slashed down by 50%. (Have you heard of a price that is slashed up?)
To change font:
- Select the text
- Press Ctrl + Shift + F to open the Font dialog box.