Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- How to Number Your Documents Properly – A Document Numbering Strategy - April 24, 2017
- How to Avoid Repeating Words in a Headline - April 18, 2017
- Leveraging Multi-Function Printers With Document Imaging Software - April 10, 2017
Welcome! This site is owned and edited by Dr. Ugur Akinci, Fortune 100 Senior Technical Communicator, Trainer, Public Speaker, and Information Designer.
10421 Motor City Drive
Bethesda Maryland 20827
“My mission in life is to reduce disorganization and conflict and increase efficiency and happiness through better information design, communication and training.”
Ugur is a graduate of University of Texas at Austin (BA) and Brown University (MA and PhD).
After graduate school, Ugur set up his own desk-top publishing business with one of the first Mac SE’s that ever hit the market.
Until 1994 he wrote, edited and published many newsletters, magazines and all kinds of print documentation.
During 1994 -1998 he covered the U.S. State Department and U.S. Congress as a reporter for a daily newspaper.
Since 1998 he has worked as a technical writer for Fortune 100 corporations like ADP, Honeywell, Fannie Mae and for his private clients.
Ugur shares his technical communication expertise with his readers through his free Tech Writing Tips ezine (http://www.learntechnicalwriting.com)
In his spare time, he loves to catch up with his magazine reading (New Yorker, WIRED, Economist, Harper’s, Vanity Fair, Harvard Business Review, Fortune, etc.), attend the concerts of Baltimore Symphony, watch movies, and (tries to) jog 5 to 10 miles a week.
- (Attended) Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Turkey
- Ph.D. and M.A., Brown University
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin
- Past President – Society for Technical Communication Washington D.C. & Baltimore Chapter (STC WDCB)
- Board of Directors – American Turkish Association of Washington D.C.
- Bethesda / Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce, Maryland
- The Writer’s Center – Bethesda, MD
- Associate Fellow, Society for Technical Communication (STC)
- Excellence Award, Technical Publications Competition, STC Washington D.C. Baltimore Chapter, 2014
- Competent Communicator (C.C.), Toastmasters International, 2013
- Bravo Award for Technical Writing Excellence, Honeywell Access Systems, 2010
- Merit Award, Technical Publications Competition, STC Washington D.C. Baltimore Chapter, 2002-2003
- Merit Award, Technical Publications Competition, STC Washington D.C. Baltimore Chapter, 2001-2002
- Juror, Technical Communication Competition, STC, Wash-DC Chapter, 2010-2011
- Lead Juror, Technical Communication Competition, STC, Wash-DC Chapter, 2008-2009
- Lead Juror, Technical Communication Competition, STC, Wash-DC Chapter, 2005-2006
- Juror, Online Communication Competition, STC, Wash-DC Chapter, 2002-2003
- Meals-on-Wheels Volunteer
- My family and friends
- Information design
- Beaches and sand dunes
- New York City
- Bossa Nova
- J. S. Bach
- Science and technology
- Public speaking
(All rights reserved. Copyright 2007-2016 Ugur Akinci)