Latest posts by techwriter (see all)
- 101 Tips and Tutorials to Write Like a Pro - August 17, 2017
- How to Find a Technical Writing Job – Some Ideas and Resources - August 9, 2017
- BOOK REVIEW: “Design for How People Learn” by Julie Dirksen - July 10, 2017
© Ugur Akinci
There are three methods to add a new topic to a new Adobe RoboHelp 11 project:
- Create it from scratch
- Link it
- Import it
Creating from Scratch
1) In your RH11 project, select File > New > Topic from the main menu to display the New Topic dialog box:
You can also click the New Topic button on the toolbar to display the same New Topic dialog box:
2) Enter a Topic Title which automatically creates the File Name. select a Master Page (if you have any). Select a Language. Enter Author Name and Keywords (both optional).
3) Select the “Exclude this topic from Search” check-box if that is what you want to do. If you leave this check-box unselected, make sure to enter search Keywords in Step 2.
4) Click OK and your new topic will be created from scratch:
Go ahead and create your new topic by entering content.
Select File > Link to link either a MS Word or FrameMaker document to your RH11 project.
Browse, find, and link your document.
NOTE: When a document is linked, instead of being imported, when the document is changed by the original application that created it (Word or FrameMaker), you can update it in RoboHelp as well. That way you do not have to create the topic all over again to reflect the recent changes made to the document. That’s why I personally prefer linking my topics rather than importing them.
Select File > Import to import a file in one of the many available file formats:
Browse, find, and import your document.
NOTE: When a document is imported, instead of being linked, when the document is changed by the original application that created it (Word or FrameMaker), you can NOT update it in RoboHelp automatically. You have to create the topic all over again to reflect the recent changes made to the document. That’s why I personally DO NOT prefer importing my topics into a RH11 project.